Monday, May 12, 2008

Looks like some trouble, my friends ....

Let's put some of our talking to action now.

(Update: According to the Chicago Music Commission:

Chairman Schulter (47th Ward) has decided not to report the event promoter ordinance out his City Council Licensing and Consumer Protection Committee. In other words, it will not be on the City Council agenda tomorrow and there will not be a vote on the bill as previously scheduled. It has been pulled until further research is done.)


The Director said...

Okay, so maybe I'm missing something. But why would anyone want to pass such a law? What purpose does it serve, save to restrict artists?

Wish I could do something, but as I'm not in Chicago, I'm not sure what I could do.

GreyZelda Land said...

From Ben Thiem (thank you, Ben)and provides some more facts - the theatre scene may be safe, but it's good to have the heads up just in case ... and it's good to help our musician friends:

Facts About The Promoters Ordinance (4-157)

May 7, 2008

What is an Event Promoter?

An Event Promoter is a person inside or outside the City of Chicago who engages in the business of promoting amusements or events within the City of Chicago and is directly or indirectly compensated for providing that service. The ordinance requires Event Promoters to obtain a license and provides guidelines to operate responsibly in the City to ensure the health, safety and welfare of people attending these events.

License Application Requirements:

* All applicants must be at least 21 years of age and provide name, address, business address, phone number and cell phone number. Applicants include any person directly or indirectly owning 10% or more interest in the business.

* Partnership or corporate structure documents, if applicable.

* Fingerprinting is required for all applicants. This includes an officer director, manager, partner or limited partner of an entity seeking or holding a license or anyone else who owns directly or indirectly owns 10% or more interest in the business.

* General liability insurance of at least $300,000 per occurrence.

What are the rules once I am a licensed Event Promoter?

* A promoter must bring a copy of the license to each event.

* The license number must be printed on all advertisements provided by the promoter.

* All events must take place pursuant to a written contract between the promoter and venue owner that outline the responsibilities of each party, the name and cell phone number of the onsite representative, all applicable license numbers, the maximum capacity of the venue, and a list of any special effects or any other potentially dangerous equipment to be used at the event.

* Records, including contracts and ticket sales information, must be maintained for three years. This information must be made available during regular business hours in case of emergency for inspection by any authorized City official.

Who is not required to obtain a Promoters License?

* Print and broadcast media advertising an event.

* Off-premise ticket sellers dealing in advance admission to an event.

* Performers or agents of performers at an event.

* PPA licensees and employees promoting their own event.

* Employees of a licensed event promoter acting within the scope of employment.

* Not-for-profit corporations promoting their own event.

* Persons who exclusively promote events at PPA-venues or performing arts venues with (i) fixed seating only, if all patrons are seated in such fixed seats; or (ii) a fixed seating capacity of 500 or more persons.

Who is ineligible to hold a Promoters License?

* Any person who has had a felony conviction or a history within the last 5 years of having an event promoter’s license or its equivalent in another jurisdiction suspended or revoked.


* Failure to comply with the terms of this ordinance subjects a promoter to penalties including fines, suspension or revocation.

* Venue owners who do not use licensed promoters are also subject to fines, suspension or revocation of their licenses.

License Fee:

Class A $2,000 2000+ venue size

Class B $1,500 0-2000

Class C $1,000 1-500

Class D $500 0-100

License fees are payable every two years